I am glad that you have decided to do some research about water quality. This simply shows how much concerned you are for your family’s health. If you want to know what factors affect water quality, here they are :-
1. Natural contaminants When it comes to discussing what factors affect water quality, natural contaminants are the ones which are completely outside our control. This includes contamination caused due to dried leaves, dead insects, bird droppings, animal feces reaching the natural sources of water.
2. Agricultural contaminants These are the factors like agricultural runoffs, fertilizers, cleansers which reach the natural source of water and pollute it. Pesticides used on the crops also eventually seep down and contaminate the ground water.
3. Industrial contaminants The list of what factors affect water quality will be incomplete without mentioning about industrial wastes being dumped directly in rivers. There are various hazardous chemicals which also pollute the ground water by seeping in along with rain water.
4. Microbial contaminants These are the contaminants like bacteria, viruses, cysts which comfortably dwell in the old and rusty industrial pipes and when water travels through these pipes to reach your home, they get added to it. There are other contaminants like algae and traces of rust which also get added in similar manner.
5. Human added contaminants Though this may sound strange but yes we too knowingly/unknowingly pollute the water. One way is what water companies do – add chlorine in water to prevent microbes but this is how knowingly chlorine gets added to the water. Later chlorine reacts with other organic contaminants to produce toxic by-products.
Another way by which we get counted amongst what factors affect water quality is by the unknowing addition of pharmaceutical drugs. When people on medication consume drugs, whatever their bodies cannot absorb, is thrown out of the body by excretion and reaches the sewer and contaminates it. This water though is treated by water companies, many drugs are still left undetected.
Now that you know what factors affect water quality, make sure that the water reaching your home is free from these contaminants. This can be easily assured by using an effective water purifier for your home. The ones that are the best, employ multiple stages of filtration.
The first stage uses carbon filtration technique to filter out chlorine and other chemicals. It also enhances the pH balance of the water. The second stage uses ion exchange to replace harmful lead and copper ions with useful sodium and potassium ones. It also uses sub micron filtration to remove all microbes from water.
These filters know exactly what factors affect water quality and take the utmost care to remove them from the water. If you would like to know more about these purifiers, visit my website listed below.