If you are anything like me, you will be greatly concerned about your health. Drinking bad quality water is like an open invitation to all sorts of health ailments. This makes it all the more important to know if there are any water quality standards in place and to what extent are they being followed.
Once I share the information about these standards and how are drinking water quality standards determined, then you can decide for yourself whether it makes any sense to trust these standards or not.
The Safe Drinking Water Act is a law which assures the quality of drinking water. It is regulated by the Environment Protection Agency (EPA) which determines what proportion of a component (parts per billion) present in the water, is safe for human consumption.
EPA issues a set of guidelines representing the safe limit for each and every contaminant which every water company needs to abide by. This safe limit is decided by taking a sample of tap water and testing it for one type of contaminant. These tests are performed considering what is safe for an average adult weighing 175 pounds.
So this is a brief and to-the-point answer to – how are drinking water quality standards determined.
But let me share the various loopholes that are very easy to observe in this whole process:
1. These tests specify the safe limit for a 175 pound adult. But don’t you think this is too less a weight for an average adult in US?
2. What about the children, pregnant mothers and elderly people? Their immune system is not as developed as that of an average adult. Does it make any sense to enforce one common safe limit for all of them?
3. Another point here is that children absorb 3 times as much water per pound of body weight than a normal adult. This clearly means that they get larger dose of contaminants daily and are at a much higher risk of water borne diseases.
4. These tests are carried on for 1 contaminant at one time. Again, the known fact is that there are over 80,000 types of contaminants present at different times in water. Is it practically possible to cover all of them?
5. Also, what about the byproducts which are produced when contaminants react with each other. Shouldn’t there be specific limits set for them too?
Now that I have answered how are drinking water quality standards determined as well as their loopholes as I see, do you think these standards are worthy of your trust?
If you ask me, how are drinking water quality standards determined for my home, it is by the effectiveness of the water purifier that I am using at my home.
It is an advanced multi stage purifier based on the cutting edge technologies of ion exchange, sub micron and carbon filtration. Not only is it 99% effective against all types of contaminants, it is very economical to maintain too.
Knowing how are drinking water quality standards determined, it is a waste to depend on these standards and expect clean water to reach your home. You too can take the decision in your hands and look for a good water purifier for your home.
Visit my website listed below for more information on an effective and efficient water purifier which can give clean, pure and great tasting water to you.